Welcome to the North Shore Tying Company, If you are interested in having flies tied please visit the "Flies" pages on the right side of the screen. Due to the massive amounts of fly patterns available today there is a chance that the flies you need may not be listed, if so please contact me and I will do my best to meet your request.

Monday 11 February 2013

The Wonders and Joys of Winter Steelheading in Northern Ontario

Went out for a last Sunday morning fish, was greeted by an empty and bitterly cold river. Sometimes all I can do is scratch my head and wonder why the heck I am on the river.......

The ice build up kind of makes casting difficult..........


Someone needs to design a heated spey rod........



Then a week later......

A late night idea came to me at the vise........ Ringneck Phesant and Heron? Every once in a while I think up a fly design and I just can't "shake" it. This fly was one of those patterns, it just begged to be tied. I swear the materials just floated onto my desk........okay.... it didn't come together that easily....

With the warmer temperatures that we have gotten in the last few days here, I have put away my Skagit lines and Sinktips and switched to a Full Floating line. This weekend I was rewarded for my efforts and got two nice Steelhead. 


The first fish took a little convincing to get it to commit, I missed this fish three times in one swing! I then shortened my cast about two feet and threw it back at him and BAM.. he had committed. 


Beautiful day on the water, Life is good


Nice Winter colours on this fish


I'm no photographer at all, I got lucky with this picture, I love seeing how much movement that Heron has in the water!



Thanks and have a good one!

Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment