Welcome to the North Shore Tying Company, If you are interested in having flies tied please visit the "Flies" pages on the right side of the screen. Due to the massive amounts of fly patterns available today there is a chance that the flies you need may not be listed, if so please contact me and I will do my best to meet your request.

Sunday 9 December 2012

Profile

Hey everyone,

So earlier today I was talking with a buddy about creating larger profiles with less materials.

Larger profiles with less materials have a couple of advantages:
  • Easier to cast - these flies tend to be lighter because there is less material to "grab" water. 
  • Sink faster - with less material there is less current and the flies will sink faster
  • Cost - less material equals less cost

This post will show several techniques that I use to create bigger profiles on my flies

The first technique is the "Dubbing Ball", it is a pretty simple technique to learn.
For a dubbing ball just spin the dubbing onto the tying thread and wrap it over it self. then tie in and wrap your next material tight to the ball. The ball will act as a "shoulder" and it will force the other material to stand up. My favourite material for dubbing balls is seals fur, I find it very easy to work with.

The second method is spinning material in a "Dubbing Loop" then I wrap it around the hook/shank
My favourite material for this Arctic Fox, I brush out the under fur from the tail and save it to use.



Another easy technique is to tie marabou in reverse, it forces the material to want to stand up and it creates a huge profile, there not exactly pretty flies, but they are effective.


Here are some examples of flies that are tied using these techniques


Olive Intruder


I like to wrap the head with rabbits fur to give the fly a cleaner look


White and Olive Intruder



Thanks
Chris





No comments:

Post a Comment