Welcome to the North Shore Tying Company, If you are interested in having flies tied please visit the "Flies" pages on the right side of the screen. Due to the massive amounts of fly patterns available today there is a chance that the flies you need may not be listed, if so please contact me and I will do my best to meet your request.

Monday 17 December 2012

Wing Tapers

Hey Everyone,

So tonight I thought I would take some time and talk about tapering wings. I have found that a lot of tiers do not taper the hair or fur they use for wings. The taper in the wing is what gives the fly its profile. 

I tied these four flies tonight with both tapered wings and untapered wings. You can see how the tapered wing changes the look of the fly. Without a tapered wing the fly has a "blocky" look. as you can see a tapered wing blends the under and over wing together to make a more natural looking looking wing.

Non-Tapered

Tapered


Non-Tapered

Tapered 

In order to taper a wing all you have to do is simple pull out a few up the hairs so that they extend farther than the rest of the hair, you can either do this while holding the bunch of hair in your hand, or you can tie the bunch of hair in and the taper it on the hook. I prefer to taper it in hand, but to each their own. 

Later tonight I am going to experiment with making some dubbing brushes to tie some bait fish patterns




Thanks 
Chris





No comments:

Post a Comment