Welcome to the North Shore Tying Company, If you are interested in having flies tied please visit the "Flies" pages on the right side of the screen. Due to the massive amounts of fly patterns available today there is a chance that the flies you need may not be listed, if so please contact me and I will do my best to meet your request.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

First Step by Step - Autumn Spey

Tonight I decided to try my hand on a step by step fly tying tutorial. I am going to call this the "Autumn Spey".


Autumn Spey - Step by Step


Hook: Bartleet Traditional by Partridge
Tag: Tinsel wrap
Tail: Golden Pheasant crest
Body: Olive Seal Fur with silver tinsel ribbing
Body Hackle: Ringneck Pheasant rump feather ( I choose one with a slight reddish tone)
Collar Hackle: Ringneck Pheasant (Schlappen type of feather, not sure what its actual name is)
Wing: Bronze Mallard
Eyes: Jungle Cock


1. Three to four turns on flat silver tinsel for the tag.


2. Golden Pheasant crest tied in for the tail.


3. Tie in a piece of flat silver tinsel for the ribbing, then build a body of olive seal fur dubbing (seal fur is really an amazing dubbing and i highly recommend trying it if you haven't already.) About half way through dubbing the body tie in a Pheasant rump hackle then continue dubbing.


4. Wrap the tinsel forward evenly spaced, then follow with the pheasant hackle, then tie in the black schlappen like feather for the collar


5. Fold the Schlappen feather so that the barbs (or fibres) lay back, then wrap for the collar.


6. Tie in a matched pair of bronze mallard wings


7. Add Jungle Cock for eyes.


Finished fly - Fish eye view


Vise View


Hope you enjoyed my first tutorial. If you have any questions about tying this fly or any other fly, just send me an email and I would be more than happy to help.

Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment